Wavy Curls Hair Tutorial

Welcome back!

A few days ago, I recorded my first video in hopes of posting my first YouTube video. The following day, I realized not only was I sitting too close to the camera, but my camera has an auto-focus function that kept focusing when I didn't want it to. So that same day, I did a new video. This time, with more issues, but I got through it. My apologies for the throat clearing and the awkward pauses. This was my first tutorial, first time using Windows Live Movie Maker, and first time doing a voice recording, so there's a lot of inconsistencies... and I was pretty nervous. I did the voice over on the fly, so a lot of my comments weren't fully thought through as I was speaking. ;)

~If you're interested in the back story of how this all came together, I'll include it at the bottom.~

MY WAVY CURLS

Items Used/Mentioned In The Video

Things I Forgot To Mention

I realized after the fact, there were a few things I wanted to mention in the video....
  1. Any brand product works for this look, the tools I used are what I have, but you can use whatever you prefer.
  2. I have course, stubborn, Asian hair, so use your own discretion with your curling iron in terms of temperature and duration of curling time per strand.
    1. I use my curling iron on the highest temperature (430), but most of you will not need it that high
    2. I hold for 8-10 seconds for each wrap, and I wrap one strand of hair about 3 times (top, middle, tips). Depending on your hair, you may be able to hold for 5 seconds per wrap and get the same effect.
  3. I like to have 'old' hair, not to be confused with dirty hair, when curling to get a better hold.
  4. If you want larger curls, use a larger barrel, if you want tighter curls, use a smaller barrel
  5. I don't like to use a lot of hair products unless necessary. Since this was a tutorial, I didn't bother with hairspray. For longer wear, I like to use a flexible hairspray at the end.
  6. My hair is layered, which is why I prefer to curl my hair in sections. 
  7. It typically takes me 20-25 minutes to curl my hair. The video itself was 30 minutes before cropping and editing.

First Video.... the Back Story

For a while now, I have been wanting to create a YouTube tutorial but didn't know what my first video should be on. While sitting around at home, while the hubby was out watching the Heat game, I decided it was going to be on how I curl my hair. I was so excited, I immediately started curling and recording. The next day, I watched about 30 seconds of the video and realized it was a FAIL. I was sitting too close to the camera, so the top of my head and the tips of my hair were cut off. Not only that, but our camera has this great auto-focus feature, unfortunately, it was auto-focusing every time I moved.


I pulled out my old Canon PowerShot a640 digital camera the following day and decided to redo the video. I was determined and made sure to check the video to ensure I was better placed in the frame. Luckily this camera doesn't have an auto-focus for video recording. However, I came across other issues....
After all of this, 8 video clips later, I got to learn how to make a 'movie'. I used Windows Live Movie Maker from Windows 7. It's pretty nice. I like it better than the Windows Movie Maker from previous Windows versions. It was really easy to use to crop, edit, combine, etc. Took a bit to figure out how to add music and a voice over, and how to record the voice over. Was a great learning experience and hopefully it'll be easier the next time around.

Lessons Learned

Thanks for watching!

Labels: , , , , , , ,